Sunday, April 27, 2008

Date-and-Walnut Quick Bread

Date-and-walnut has always been one of my favorite combinations. My absolute favorite use of these two goodies is date-and-walnut pinwheel cookies. My grandmom makes these every Christmas and was kind enough to pass the recipe on to me. The recipe requires the making and rolling out of dough though, so I very rarely make them, even though they’re delicious. I have a recipe for date-and-walnut snack bars that starts with boxed vanilla cake mix, and I cling to that as a surrogate.

As I’ve said before, I’m not much of a baker. I also like raisin, date, and walnut instant oatmeal—all that requires is boiling water.

So that’s why I love this recipe for Date-and-Walnut Quick Bread. Quick breads are the best. This one is easy and delicious. The bread is moist and fragrant and makes a lovely breakfast with some hot tea. It really doesn’t need to be slathered with honey butter, but I did it anyway because I laugh in the face of heart disease.

I don’t have a modified recipe because I followed the original exactly, all except for a few gratings of nutmeg added to the batter. It’s a great recipe. The spread is just room temperature butter mixed with an equal part of honey, and the proportions are easily adjusted depending on how sweet you like it.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd kick my husband for not liking walnuts, if I weren't trying to be peaceful right now. this looks so amazing!
have you ever made the treat of cutting a date open, removing the pit, and placing half a walnut in there? we used to do that for Christmas as kids, and I still love it.
I also love your addition of nutmeg, can't go wrong with that one!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Your bread looks grogeous! I am pleased to see you like to eat it spread with butter, while it is still warm, yum!

Vicarious Foodie said...

Celine: I have not had this amazing walnut-stuffed date treat you speak of, but I'm making it a priority right now! Thanks for the tip.

Holler: Warm with melted butter is the only way to go. Yum!

Elle said...

Geez. Why do I always read food blogs when I'm hungry?!?

Dates are one of my absolute favorites. And like Celine, we love them with a nut in there, but we usually use a pecan. It tastes like pecan pie.

Your bread is beautiful! And the butter and honey? Takes it beyond delicious!

PG said...

I love the spoons. Ok - dumb question. Are those actual measurements? Or, is it just supposed to be cute? Either way, still love the spoons.

Peter M said...

The bread looks phenomenal and you inserted the key word for me...QUICK~!

Anonymous said...

Oh those spoons, I've never seen the drop and the tad ones, I have the others so cool...and the bread...dates and walnuts are a marriage made in heaven.

Vicarious Foodie said...

Thanks, everyone!

Elle: Using a pecan sounds awesome! I'll be trying that, too.

Psychgrad: I got them just because they're cute, but, yeah, I think they are actual measurements. Sometimes you'll see a recipe that calls for a pinch of this or a dash of that...I haven't run across a recipe that calls for a smidgen of anything yet, though.

test it comm said...

That date bread looks so good. I have been wanting to try baking with dates for a while now.

Fitness Foodie said...

I've always wanted to make a date and walnut bread... I think this is the recipe to go with, sounds and looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Those are the cutest measuring spoons! And I love dates, though I've never tried a date bread... maybe now's the time!