Saturday, September 29, 2007

Barefoot Sides

I love Ina Garten. I think that, among all the Food Networks stars, her recipes are the most reliable. Everything I’ve made of hers has been excellent. Tonight I made two of her sides: cauliflower gratin and sautéed cabbage.

The cabbage was incredibly simple: cabbage, butter, salt, and pepper. Sauté. Delicious.

The cauliflower took a bit more work, but it was worth it. Basically, it requires baking the cauliflower in a Gruyere/Parmesan sauce. The cheese sauce was enhanced with nutmeg, a perfectly delicious and classic combination.

The results were fabulous. I achieved something with this recipe that I’ve never achieved before: a truly crunchy delicious crust. I think it must’ve been the fresh breadcrumbs. This is the first time I’ve used fresh breadcrumbs to create a crust, as opposed to dried, and the outcome was exactly as it should be. I’ll be experimenting with this further.

No comments: