Sunday, March 23, 2008

Urban Legend Cookies

Today I made the famous Urban Legend Cookie. Have you heard of this one? If you want, you can read the details here, but basically the story behind this recipe is that a woman asked Neiman Marcus to share its cookie recipe and was told she could have it for “two fifty.” What she assumed was $2.50 turned out to be $250.00 and, to get even with Neiman Marcus for ripping her off, she spread the recipe around to everyone she knew. The recipe now circulates the Internet, serving as payback for the taken-advantage-of customer.

The story is, of course, false. This is its most recent reincarnation, but you may also have heard it told as the Mrs. Fields cookie recipe. Same tale, different name. Anyway, I don’t know where this recipe really came from, and I don’t much care. The cookies are delicious, and that’s good enough for me.

Urban Legend Cookies

2.5 cups rolled oats
1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
.5 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2.5 ounces chocolate bar, grated
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a food processor, finely grind oats. Set aside.

Cream together butter and sugars. Mix in eggs and vanilla.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder and fold into the creamed butter and sugar mixture. Stir in the oats, chocolate, and nuts. Dough will be stiff.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased or lined baking sheet. Arrange about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden brown.

7 comments:

Patsyk said...

Those cookies look great! I've heard the urban legend many times, but never got around to trying the recipe.

test it comm said...

Look at all of the rolled oats in tis recipe. Those cookies sound good and look great!

giz said...

The version of the legend I heard years ago had macadamia nuts in it - I tried it - of course it was delicious. Yours look terrific too.

Gretchen Noelle said...

Heard this and tried the cookie. But instead of blending the oats, I used what I thought was oat flour. Turned out it was just oat bran and they were a bit dry. Guess I should try them again but I just have my standby chocolate chip cookie and love it too much to give up!

Anonymous said...

its kinda similar to doubletree cookies

Anonymous said...

Love the recipe!! I don't really care where it came from, and I don't care to make it better. I tis perfect, THANKS!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Whatever the origin, it's a great recipe. I have a variation that I love to play with, adding different things depending on my mood and what's in the pantry.