Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Assault on Mac & Cheese

Just delivered to my inbox was an e-mail announcing that FN has put together a list of the top 100 recipes of 2007. How exciting!!! I immediately clicked the link they sent and, drooling with anticipation, sat ready to devour 100 awesome new recipes to try. Of course, my eyes went straight to the number-one spot. Which recipe is the FN proud to call the top recipe of 2007?

It was Paula Deen's macaroni and cheese. Let me repeat that: Paula Deen's macaroni and cheese has been deemed the best recipe of 2007.

I have previously shared my thoughts on PD's M&C. The summary is, it's disgusting. Now, the one FN has deemed #1 (Creamy Macaroni and Cheese) is not the one I regretfully tried (The Lady's Cheesy Mac), but the offensive ingredient, those 3 eggs, are still there.

I don't understand. This recipe didn't even get 5 stars. When you read the reviews, plenty of people give it a good rating only after reducing the amount of egg or omitting it entirely. So how was this chosen as the winning recipe?

But it gets even better. In the #2 spot is Alton's Baked Macaroni and Cheese, and his uses egg, too! Although his calls for only one. But still, that's one too many. I think it's a Southern thing.

Did I say yet that I don't understand this? Because I really don't. Why do this to macaroni and cheese? Macaroni and cheese is a beautiful combination on its own---no egg required. It's just wrong--wrong, wrong, horribly wrong. Please stop doing this to macaroni and cheese.

I have strong feelings about macaroni and cheese.

By the way, the best mac & cheese I've ever made was from Andrea's Recipes. Try it---it's delicious.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Well, thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed the mac & cheese (we like it, too).